Tag Archives: encouragement
The January issue of Natura Magazine is here! With the gorgeous Kerry Washington gracing the cover I am even more proud to say that I am a part of Team Natura. With a focus on self empowerment, this issue is full of inspiration and encouragement for women to be who they are which you all know is right up my passion alley!
As a contributing natural hair blogger expert for this amazing online publication I always look forward to seeing the finished product that founder Malia Brown and team have worked so hard to produce. I highly encourage you to go check it out! From natural hair care, fashion and health, it is 188 pages of Awesomeness! Click the cover below to see what the January issue has to offer. You won’t be disapointed!
You can also check out my weekly blog posts for this great publication here.
In case you didn’t know…
Growth Challenge Random Length Check
This is why I blog…
I Motivate Naturals 2014: A legacy initiative
So, it’s been made pretty evident to me by Holy Spirit that I have the gift of motivating and encouraging others. I haven’t really known what to do with that gift since it was revealed to me but I decided to make a big faith move and put forth some genuine effort into this gift. In 2014 I’m combining my God given gift with my love for natural hair and self-love.
“I Motivate Naturals 2014” is a personal legacy campaign I’m challenging myself to carry out. I’ll be targeting several blog posts this year to all of the newly natural or transitioning beauties. Going natural is a big decision and it can unveil a lot of insecurities you never new existed. I want to motivate those women through their journey and encourage them to love themselves more than ever.
God is leading this initiative. I’m simply his vessel to remind his children of the natural beauty they posses. When I’m gone from this earth I want to have made a difference in as many people’s lives as possible. This one goes towards my legacy. So, lets go! Follow me and get motivated for your natural hair journey!
10 Natural Hair To Do’s for 2014
Nappy New Year Beauties!! As you go into 2014 here are 10 to do’s for your natural hair journey:
1. Love YOUR natural hair. Don’t fill up with hair envy. Love the tresses God blessed you with. It’s more beautiful than you realize.
2. Don’t take your natural hair journey so serious. Loosen up a little! Unless you’re a chemist and love the science of black hair don’t stress yourself out over making your own Shea butter or custards.
3. Have FUN with your hair. ‘Nuff said
4. Learn more about your natural hair texture. The more you know about your tresses, the better equipped you’ll be to keep it healthy and help it grow.
5. Try new products. Don’t be afraid to try a new product or hair line. You could be missing out!
6. Try new styles as your hair grows. Half the fun of having natural hair is the versatility it offers. Get creative with your curls.
7. Encourage other women wanting to go natural. Be someone’s motivation. Remind them of their beauty and encourage them to get aquatinted with their kinks.
8. Do NOT be a big chop bully. Be sensitive with your transitioning friends! Don’t push them to big chop if they’re not ready.
9. Use what you’ve learned in 2013 to take better care of your tresses. If you’re anything like me you had a lot of hair trial and error last year. Let’s do better this year.
10. Do NOT underestimate the importance of curly support. Stay encouraged on your natural hair journey. It is critical, especially in the early staged. I’ll be here to keep you motivated :o)
Growth Challenge Update
It’s been a little over a month since I decided to go hard with a 6 month growth challenge. Since then I’ve been pretty consistent with the rules I set in place for myself. Lots of protective styling, H2O, vitamins, etc. and so far it definitely seems to be paying off.
The weather here in Florida has been in the low 70s, perfect for straight hair. And so, I couldn’t help myself. I tried a new product from the Cantu line (stay tuned for a review) and decided to straighten my hair. I was extremely happy with the results. Although there was heat application, I took care of my hair during the process and my straight hair has offered me some incredible motivation to continue the challenge. Check out the comparison from when I first started the challenge to now. My hair is noticeably longer and more healthy after only 1 month! I’m definitely feeling encouraged!
Pushing the Corporate Envelope
I LOVE pushing the envelope when it comes to wearing my natural hair at work. I’m in a corporate environment Monday – Friday 7:30 to 4:30 so every day I do my hair in the morning I’m thinking of yet another way that I can do something a little more outstanding than the day before. Being one of 3 african american individuals on the floor I work on, blending in isn’t really an option. And I am truly thankful for that! Outside of the fact that the Book calls me the salt of the earth, intended to offer a bit of spiritual flavor to an otherwise bland atmosphere, I love the idea of contradicting a corporately correct fit with a curly fro or super high mega bun. I love being different. My natural hair affords me the opportunity to be different every single day. Holy Spirit lives in me and my every day goal is to change the atmosphere he puts me in. Some love me and others love to hate me. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is that I love me.
Don’t be afraid of wearing your natural hair styles at work. Don’t fear that they could potentially hold you back from advancement. God is your source, your job, is just a resource. Love yourself. Be yourself. And the next time you think about wearing that style you’re just not sure is ok for work…go for it. And don’t just wear it, OWN IT!