This weekend I celebrated 4 amazing years of being natural!! I can’t believe how fast the time has gone by. I’ve had so much fun along this journey. I can honestly say that making the decision to embrace my natural hair is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. To commemorate my 4 year natural hair anniversary, here are 4 reasons why this was one of my best decisions ever:
1. This journey has opened my eyes to gifts and talents that I never knew I was blessed with. Who knew how good I was at hairstyling?! I never thought I could be so innovative and creative when it comes to hair. And to add icing to the cake I truly enjoy it!
2. I can’t tell you all how much I DO NOT miss relaxed hair! Seriously! One of the things I love most about my natural hair is the versatility and endless options for styling. I never realized how limited I was with relaxed hair.
3. Never would I have thought that going natural would lead me right into one of my greatest life purposes, Curly Christians. This platform & network is bridging the gap between natural hair, fashion and the gospel of Christ. I am so honored that God entrusted this entity to me.
4. Lastly, this natural hair journey has given me a big opportunity to inspire thousands and thousands of people. Being an inspiration for other women is an amazing thing. I don’t take it lightly.
That’s it! 4 years, 4 reasons why being natural has made my life so much better. Let’s see what another year of natural will uncover!
2014 was definitely a year of natural hair creativity for me. From my highlights in February to my undercut in October I had so much fun with my tresses! Challenging myself to come up with unique styles virtually every day was tough but rewarding. It allowed me the opportunity to inspire other naturalistas. Those looks also landed me features on CurlyNiki, Curlbox, Essence.com and tons of Natural Hair social media sites like @naturalhairdaily, @protectivestyles, @naturalhairdoescare, @myhaircrush and @naturalhairmag
2014 was definitely a great year for my hair journey. Here are some of my favorite looks from the year.
The only thing more exciting was the launch of Curly Christians, the blog where Christ, curls and fashion collide. I am so blessed to have found a big part of my purpose in this amazing blog this year. As the Editor-In-Chief I pull two mega industries I adore and my passion for Jesus Christ together onto a platform that is inspiring thousands every day! God is so awesome. I can’t wait to see what incredible things 2015 will bring. One things fore sure, I’m ready!
I see a lot of conversations on whether this crazy onset of natural hair interest is simply a trend or a movement.
From a mass media perspective a trend or movement is heavily based on the number of people involved and the length of time something is considered popular. However, from a life and purpose perspective it’s instead the impact that embracing your natural hair has had on your life that determines it’s reality as a trend or movement.
This nationwide advance of women going natural is actually very personal. So much so that the words trend and movement should be used in a completely different context within this topic. A context of life and purpose rather than media and sales. So, when we think about it that way the true question becomes, how big of a difference has embracing your natural hair made to your life? Has it been a trend, something you’ve done just for fun. Or, has it been a movement, something that’s ended up changing your life.
Personally, my natural hair journey started off just as a trend, but today I can honestly say that embracing my tresses has indeed become a movement. It has revealed gifts in me that I never new I had. But most importantly, it has helped introduce me to something I am purposed to do, motivate, encourage and inspire others.
How would you classify YOUR natural hair journey? Trend or Movement?
While the rest of the world seems to be hating on Mondays, here I am taking them on by force!
Monday’s tend to set the tempo for the rest of the week for me. So rather than fight them, I’ve decided to embrace them. This requires three simple things:
1. A positive attitude: this one is fairly easy. I just wake up thankful. Thankful for my family, for life, health and purpose
2. A mean face beat: I always try to make sure my makeup is on point on Mondays. It encourages me throughout the day.
3. DRESS!: My Monday outfits should epitomize the Monday Motto, POW!
Mondays are the beginning of the week. They give me another opportunity to chase my goals and my purpose. Assuring I’ve got these three things handled helps me get out the block strong and on fire like a bullet. POW!!
Happy Monday Beauties!