I hadn’t heard the term protective styling until I decided to do the big chop 2 ½ years ago. Even after I took that huge step I was still clueless as to what protective styling was or the purpose it served to growing my natural hair. I have worn a lot of protective styles while on my natural hair journey but not particularly for the sake of protecting my hair. Historically, it has more so been about achieving a particular style or look. If a style that I wanted to achieve happened to require twists or braids or another common protective tactic, I did it! Little did I know that in doing so I had been encouraging hair growth.
Well, as I’ve taken the step of committing to my 6 month growth challenge I am being reintroduced to protective styling but looking at it in a way that I never have before. Part of the parameters of my challenge includes wearing protective styles at least 3 times a week. In the past couple of weeks I had been finding myself a bit challenged trying to find something new to do with my hair but still adhere to the parameters within the growth challenge. So, to encourage myself so that I didn’t completely fall off the bandwagon, I researched the importance of protective styling so that I can continuously remind myself why it’s so important, especially during a growth challenge.
- Low Maintenance: Natural hair retains length better when it’s left alone. Styles that do not require a lot of manipulation like consistent combing, twisting etc. will allow hair to grow faster.
- Keeps Hair Soft: Protective styles tend to soak up the natural oils and moisture within your hair which allows it to remain soft. I do notice a major difference in my hair at night when I’ve worn it out vs. when I’ve worn it in a bun all day.
- Prevents Breakage: Hair that is often worn out has a tendency to break off because of loose ends that catch on to various fabrics from things like car seats and pillowcases. Wearing protective styles helps to prevent breakage so that hair will retain growth.
So, whenever I wake up in the morning and have that “Protective style for what!?” attitude I can quickly come back with these powerful reasons.
Last week I was sort of a slacker on my water intake so this weekend I’ve been on a serious H2O flow. Generally speaking I think most people, including myself understand the importance of water and why it’s so important to drink a sufficient amount on a daily basis. I don’t know about you but even given that understanding I still don’t always drink enough. I’m fortunate that I actually enjoy the taste of water. For me, the problem is that the day gets away from me before I’ve realized that I’ve hardly drank any. Totally unacceptable! Well, my hair challenge has given me another reason to remind myself of why water is so important, specifically for my natural hair growth.
- Our bodies are made up of about 60% water and we need it to maintain overall health.
- One quarter of our hair strand’s weight is made up of water.
- Water is the main source of energy for hair cells.
- Water intake helps hydrates the body and helps to regulate the circulatory system. This feeds the hair follicle, and stimulates hair growth.
- Drink 8 to 10 cups of water a day to stay hydrate.
- Applying water to the hair is a big key to mitigating hair damage when it’s handled. It makes hair softer and more elastic.
At the end of the day the thing to remember is that you need to be hydrated inside and out to keep your hair healthy. I definitely plan to continue my H2O flow throughout this hair challenge and beyond. Guess that’s it for now. Off to have a glass of water before I shut it down for the night. Be You Beauties!
So, my growth challenge has got me really feeling myself! Feeling incredibly encouraged and excited about my potential to reach my waist length goal, not necessarily within 6 months but perhaps in 12. It’s amazing to me how one small initiative like a hair growth challenge can inspire you and build up your confidence.
I’ve been taking my all natural vitamins twice a day, playing with protective styles and trying to be more active. The big challenge this week has been drinking more water. Gotta find a way to get it in!
I did get a few new products that I’m really excited to try: Cantu Grow Strong Strengthening Treatment, Bioinfusion Curl Cream, Motions Define My Curls Creme, and Motions Hydrate My Curls Hair Pudding. Super excited about trying these products!
Check out my YouTube video below to find out more about my growth challenge as well as these products and how I plan to use them.
Well…one thing is for sure, my self-love is definitely on overtime! I suppose the natural Be You Beauty thing to do to maintain such a healthy level of confidence like this would be to find more positive, healthy initiatives to take on. Who knows…this could be the beginning of something Be-You-tiful!
I seem to be in the beginnings of my usual seasonal go to of FALLing for straight hair. Although I typically embrace my curly hair throughout the year I do enjoy spending some time wearing my straight hair when fall comes around since this is one of the few times of year that the Florida weather permits it. After recently straightening my hair to trim my ends I thought it might be a great idea to start a 6 month growth challenge. My 3 year natural hair anniversary is on April 3rd and I’m really curious to see what kind of hair growth I can achieve from now to then.
I’ve been researching various growth challenges that others have done to get an idea of some solid parameters I might be interested in. I found a great 2-Year Waist Length Healthy Hair Challenge on Facebook with some rules that appealed to me and since this is my natural hair length goal I thought it was perfect. What I love most about this challenge is that it includes so many other healthy elements that I could totally stand to make habits out of. With that being said, there are also some parameters here that will serve as extreme challenges for me, all which I’ve notated below. So, I’ve decided to do my very best to adhere to these rules for the next 6 months. I’ll do monthly updates on my progress. Here’s a look at my starting point. I’m right around bra strap length. Wish me luck!
- Wash/Cleanse your hair 1x per week
- Always Deep Condition after every Wash & Hot Oil treatment followed by a Leave In Conditioner
- Blot hair with a t-shirt & Air dry the hair 99% of the time
- No heat (blow drying, flat iron, curling iron, etc.) until you’ve been in the challenge for at least 2 months, after that you’re allowed only one (1) Heat pass per month (Going to be tough since I love straight hair during the fall but, gonna do my best!)
- Remain FAITHFUL to Moisturizing & Sealing your ends at least 3x a week to prevent breakage & split ends
- Wear protective or low manipulation styles 3-5x a week (I LOVE trying new things with my hair so this will be tough!)
- Take a hair growth aide or multivitamin if you choose to benefit the health & growth of your hair & body (Discuss this with your physician to see if this is appropriate for you & your health)
- ALWAYS protect your hair at night with a silk/satin scarf and/or bonnet. Sleeping with a satin pillowcase will be beneficial as well.
- Eat a healthy diet, eliminating fast food and as many processed foods as possible (I totally need to do this anyway! Will do my best HOWEVER Thanksgiving and Christmas are off limits! lol!)
- Exercise at least 2-3x a week, whether it’s walking, running, jogging, aerobics, etc. Do something that will get your heart pumping & get your blood flow circulating. (Yep! Totally need to do this more consistently too!)
- Drink PLENTY of water (Another one!)
- Keep your hands OUT of your hair when you’re not styling or massaging it (Challenge!)
- Every day, look in the mirror at yourself & say a positive affirmation about yourself to motivate yourself. (Critical for embracing my Be You Beauty!)
- Take a picture of your hair before starting this challenge. At the end of every other month, take a picture and do a length check to track how your hair is coming along. Post a picture to the Wall whenever you are making progress for your encouragement and others encouragement & inspiration as well.
- Periodically post how much growth you’ve had.
Anyone want to join me??!! What would be your goal for a 6 month growth challenge?
It’s hard not to feel good about yourself when you’ve had an opportunity to genuinely apply yourself in the morning. You’ve paired a perfect outfit for the season, created a new hairstyle sure to turn heads and finished it off with a sensational face beat. Unfortunately our realities don’t typically run this smooth. So, how can we assure self confidence in our appearances on those days when we can’t find anything to wear, our hair doesn’t cooperate and we struggle to find time to even apply foundation? Here are my essentials, especially for days like this:
1. Self love on point: this is where loving who you are really comes into play. Recognizing my natural beauty allows me to be confident even on days like this.
2. Mandatory JC check in: usually on days like this I’ve gotten off to a rough start which can have a negative impact on the rest of my day which shows! Getting some prayer/devotional time in during the morning and sporadically throughout the day helps to keep me positive and peaceful.
3. BREAKfast: Even if my rough morning has caused me to run late I always make sure to eat breakfast. A hungry tummy will only contribute to any festering negativity.
3. GLOSS: it’s amazing what a little lipgloss can do. On days when I don’t have time for a complete face beat I rely on my lipgloss. I find that it keeps me looking fresh throughout the day even when the rest of my face is naked.
That’s about it! Those are my mad morning essentials. The next time you’re facing a mad morning of your own try some of these ideas and see if they don’t help get you back on track
Be you beauties!
Sometimes, going to the bathroom has absolutely nothing to do with going to the bathroom. That’s probably more true for me than most other people. I go to the bathroom several times a day just to look at myself. No, I’m not narcissistic and yes, I have a healthy level of self-esteem. My reasoning is completely rationale, at least for me.
Part of my Be You Beauty is my love for makeup. Doing an incredible face beat always makes me feel good. They say that when you look good you feel good and it really is true! Despite what may be going wrong in my work day all I have to do is take a trip to the ladies room, lock myself in the handicap stall and look at myself. I know that probably sounds crazy but in addition to some chat time with JC, it really helps me get through! I figure hey, it’s ok to have a rough day, but don’t look like it. And you know what I’ve noticed, the way that I look has a positive affect on the people around me too. I can’t tell you how many conversations I have a day with different people about my makeup, hair, clothes or nail color. I think that the effort I put into my appearance inspires others and encourages them to separate themselves from their every day grind. This is not at all my primary intention but it makes me feel good to have a positive affect on others nonetheless. Anything I can do, consciously or subconsciously that encourages women to embrace their Be You Beauty is part of me walking in my purpose.
So tomorrow if things get rough, maybe you should take an extra trip to the bathroom.
There’s nothing like have a trending style fall totally in line with something you already love. That’s pretty much how I feel this fall about the trending color of cobalt blue, my absolute color obsession. This color is so rich, vibrant and beautiful. I honestly can’t get enough. Spring, summer, fall, winter…whatever! I wear it year round. But how awesome it is to actually have it trend for the fall season this year. As a result, I’ve taken it to the next level because, well, why not! Whenever I have an opportunity to pull this beautiful blue tone into my look, I do it. I especially enjoy using it as a pop of color but am NOT afraid to to pile on the cobalt and pair it with a deep colored lip for a more dramatic look. I am totally looking forward to discovering new ways to wear this great color. I was inevitably going to bring it into my look for fall anyway, it’s just a bonus that it happens to be trending. Rocking my Be You Beauty has never been so fashionably colorful and fierce! Here is a sampling of me styling my ultimate color obsession!